Monday, April 19, 2010

Haunted Treasure Coast Antique Mall

So, I finally made it to a really cool antique mall today.  It's a restored mansion between Fort Pierce and Vero that is situated on a big hill, which you can't miss because there are like 5 "hills" in the area and this is one of them.  I've only been wanting to stop by ever since I lived here, but it was always on my way to meetings or back from meetings. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Man, that place is way cool and there is so much to see that I know I will be back soon.

There is also some history on the place that is totally blog-worthy.

Apparently, the house was built around 1926 atop one of the highest points on the Treasure Coast.  It was constructed for a Bulgarian philharmonic director from New York for the price of $86,000.  There are many tales, as you can imagine, regarding the mansion but here are few that are neat.


*In the early 40s, the mansion was used by the Germans to communicate with submarines offshore, for the purpose of espionage.
*Silent film Gloria Swanson owned the mansion in the middle 40s, where she rendezvoused with Joe Kennedy.
*Al Capone stopped by the mansion en route to his Miami home.  Cigar smoke is sometimes noticed in the upstairs bedroom where he slept.
*During the late 50s and 60s, it was operated as a bordello.  Rumor has it that a gentleman client was shot by his wife on the seventh step as he was coming down from the upstairs bedroom.  His ghost is said to haunt the house still.

Found these awesome glasses.  I used to have the Smurfette one but she broke and now I have Gargamel and Azriel added to my collection!  I hope they aren't haunted. 


AND, this awesome vintage necklace that I will be wearing to work tomorrow!

1 comment:

~emily~ said...

Cool! We had some of those Smurf glasses when we were kids. They're long gone now though. :(

That place looks really neat. If I ever get to come down to visit, we will have to go shopping there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails